After a wild two-week group stage it’s on to the round of 16. Will Portugal defend their 2016 Euro Title? Can France add a Euro Championship to go along with their 2018 World Cup win. Who will advance into the next round?
Some great matches are set in the knockout stage! The best of Europe’s international squads have advanced past the group stage and are looking to get their hands on the trophy. Let’s take a look at each group match up and find some betting nuggets.
Follow @WunderdogSports for free Soccer picks and betting trends!
Wales vs. Denmark
- Wales were able to finish 2nd in their group with after drawing with Switzerland and beating Turkey 2-0. They did lose to Italy 1-0 but played a very spirited match. Gareth Bale is the key star up front for the Dragons but look for Aaron Ramsey and Connor Roberts to make some noise. Wales will look to soak up pressure and use a quick counter-attack.
- Denmark began the campaign with a devastating injury to star-man Christian Eriksen, who went into cardiac arrest on the pitch during the Finland match. They lost 1-0 that night and took on Belgium in the next match. Though they fought hard the Danish fell 2-1 to the Red Devils. They needed a win in the next match and sealed their spot in the knockout round with a 4-0 win. The Danish look to find Yussuf Poulsen and Martin Braithwaite who are dangerous up front. Look for them to advance from the round of 16.
Wales +203 / Denmark -120
Italy vs. Austria
- Italy are on of the favorites, posting a perfect record in the group stage. The Italians play a up-tempo, quick passing game where they can dominate the possession and get guys forward. Italy are coming off a 30 match un-beaten streak and will attack heavily. Jorginho is the play-maker, and is flanked by Manuel Locatelli and Nicolo Barella.
- Austria finished 2nd in their group after beating Ukraine, which happened to be for a spot in the knockout round. Led by David Alba who is set to be joining Real Madrid next season, Austria like to build up play from the back to find area to attack. Look for them to get high balls in the box for Marcel Sabitzer and Christoph Baumgartner to shoot.
Italy -185 / Austria +550
Netherlands vs. Czech Republic
- The Czech Republic have a disciplined and well organized squad, with a trio of players who can hurt the Dutch. They finished 3rd in their group with goal differential, but played very well in all 3 matches. Look for Patrik Schick and Tomas Soucek to lead the Czech front line. They should be ready for the Dutch after facing England and Croatia, two of the tougher teams in the competition.
- The Dutch are finally back in their fist major tournament since the 2014 World Cup. They walked through the group stage, scoring 8 goals in three matches. Georginio Wijnaldum is the man who makes the Dutch tick. While much of the focus is on Memphis Depay, who is on fire so far this competition.
Czech Republic +420 / Netherlands – 150
Belgium vs. Portugal
- This is going to be a heavy-weight fight, with both sides boasting some of the worlds best players. The Belgium team is full of stars, led by Kevin De Burnye and Romero Lukaku. They scored 7 goals in the group stage where they finished 1st. The Red Devils also have a very good bench, so look for that to play a factor has the match goes on.
- Portugal are looking to hoist back to back Euro trophies, but end up finishing 3rd in their group. This causes them to meet up with Belgium and if they win possibly a meeting with red-hot Italy. Christrinaldo Ronaldo leads Portugal up top, but they have world-class players at every position. The defense has lacked in the group stage but they survived the Group of Death to reach the knockout stage.
Portugal +210 / Belgium +140
Croatia vs. Spain
- Spain started the competition slowly but beat Slovakia 5-0 to secure 2nd place in the group. Spain come into this game as favorites but they have struggled to score goals. Look for Alvaro Moratato shake off his bad form because he will need to be clinical if Spain are to advance. The midfield should also play a major part in the match.
- Croatia got a big win in their last game, beating Scotland to finish 2nd in their group. Led by Luka Modric who reminded us how good he is with a fantastic goal in that Scotland match. Croatia have beaten Spain in two of the last three meeting, the previous being played in 2018. Croatia will look to withstand the pressure of Spain but can get them on the break.
Spain -165 / Croatia +550
France vs. Switzerland
- France are the favorites in the early start of the competition and look to hold that on into the Knockout stage. They topped their group stage known as the Group of Death, and played impressively. They have a team full of world class players and most of the roster are still there for their 2018 World Cup win. Look for France to be very dominate on the ball.
- For Switzerland playing France in a major tournament is nothing new, having playing them in the Euro’s in 2016 and the World Cup in both 2006 and 2014. The Swiss have some benefit of rest, securing their knockout place earlier in the week. Switzerland do struggle without the ball and that is an area France will look to exploit.
France -185 / Switzerland +600
England vs. Germany
- England have played well in their 3 group matches but haven’t played up to their standard. They kept clean sheets in all three matches but found very little in scoring goals. England manager Southgate plays a very defensive style and rumors are he will play a back 5 to defend Germany like a wall. England have struggled to retain possession but if they are able to attack with numbers they could cause Germany threats.
- Germany were six minutes from exiting the tournament but scored an equalizer against Hungary to secure a 2nd place finish over Portugal. Germany have underperformed but that was in the Group of Death so it is understandable. Look for them to try and keep heavy possession and attack England on the break.
Germany +190 / England +150
Sweden vs. Ukraine
- Sweden were able to top their group with some nice wins over Poland and Slovakia. They did tie in a 0-0 draw with Spain but won the group with their other two wins. Sweden have shown they can play in many different styles, changing formation throughout the group stage. They only had 15% of possession in that match vs. Spain and still held on for the draw.
- Ukraine are an underdog for this match but have played a style of play known to frustrate teams. They have to find a way to gain possession and funnel it to the strikers. They were one of the best 3rd place teams despite losing two of the matches in their group. Sweden is expected to win but anything can happen in the knockout round.
Ukraine +220 / Sweden +135